Tools for Virtual Activism
This course page is a description only.
Different courses are offered in each of Senior Planet’s six U.S. locations at different times of the year. If you’re in or near one of our locations, check your relevant local section to see which courses are currently being offered in your area.
To make sure you’re in the loop for all things Senior Planet, make sure you sign up for our newsletters!
The internet is more than a source for information and entertainment. It is also an important platform for raising your voice. In this multi-session series, you’ll learn about digital tools used by activists in their campaigns for change. Weekly lectures, followed by hands-on workshops, will give you the opportunity to sign online petitions, use Twitter to support causes, contact elected officials online, and more. This series meets twice per week for five consecutive weeks.
- Week 1: Virtual Activism (lecture) + Change.org (workshop)
- Week 2: Twitter (lecture) + Getting Started with Twitter (workshop)
- Week 3: Online Tools for Contacting your Lawmakers (lecture) + Causes (workshop)
- Week 4: Messaging Apps (lecture) + WhatsApp (workshop)
- Week 5: Crowdfunding for a Cause (lecture) + Charity Navigator (workshop)
This series is best suited for participants who are comfortable performing internet searches and filling out forms online.