This article is an excerpt from 2022’s Supporter-only Annual Technology Review. To read the full review and receive other exclusive benefits and event invitations – join us as a Supporter today by giving $1 or more!
Your smartphone is more versatile than you think! Here are some clever hacks to enhance your smartphone experience on an Android phone and an iPhone.
- Use the negative pole on an AAA or AA battery as a stylus in a pinch if you’re wearing gloves or your arthritis is acting up and you don’t have a stylus on hand.
- Lower the glare on your photos by aiming the phone camera through a pair of sunglasses. If you’re ready to delve into more about smartphone photography here is an article that will help.
Smartphone Tips and Tweaks
- Change the accessibility options. On both android and iPhone go into settings > accessibility and enable whichever settings you need. If you’re hard of hearing you can optimize sound for your hearing aids. If you have limited visibility you can increase contrast, use color buttons and enlarge fonts. iPhones have even more settings. Here’s a helpful article about the 25 accessibility setting you need to know about.
- Simplify the interface. Instead of tweaking individual accessibility options, you can opt for an app like Big Launcher to make a phone’s interface easier to use. Your home screen will look simpler and brighter with larger text and brighter colors. If you have a Samsung try “easy mode” which does this automatically. Here’s more info on how to enable these modes.
- Make sure Find My Device is installed on your phone. It’s pre-installed on most Android phones, but even if it isn’t you can easily download it from the Play Store. Simply turn it on from the device’s settings. To find the phone use your computer or tablet, go to the findmydevice home page and log in with your Google Account. Don’t forget the password! After putting it in, it will show you the exact position of the smartphone. You can also use it to call the phone. If the sound is turned off, call twice and it will ring.
- Add emergency information to your phone’s lock screen. Here’s how.
- Make a fun, original phone case with balloons, hot glue and other crafty ideas by following this YouTube video which has other clever hacks as well.
Like what you just read? This article is an excerpt from 2022’s Supporter-only Annual Technology Review. To read the full review and receive other exclusive benefits and event invitations – join us as a Supporter today by giving $1 or more!
Gallery image>Facebook Live on Android phone ¿How?
I just changed my display on my Samsung to Easy Mode, love it, especially the yellow keyboard.
I volunteer helping seniors with technology so now I can show them this setting.
I’m a senior and I have autism.
I’m struggling terribly with technology, despite using it for ten years.
I’m looking for someone who can help me.
THANK YOU for this most useful article. I’m so confused with my Android plus its inexplicable glitches. I’ll read more and will try the suggestions. :)
P.S. I don’t find smilies in my Android, I need to make them up from 2 characters, as I did above. The ones I saw are too ugly.