Recently Senior Planet took a look at the ridiculous and often patronizing ways older people are portrayed in stock photography…the images often seen in ads, brochures and mailers. We focused on a popular category in stock photography houses: “Active Senior.” There’s plenty to work with in that category. The images taken by stock photographers don’t resemble any people we know; take a look at this follow up and see if there’s anyone you recognize in these trite or cutesy images and outdated assumptions.
1. Active seniors are so eager to demonstrate their ‘active-ness” they’ll take to the stage.
2. Nothing says “active senior” like wearing a cape make from a sheet, because an active senior is a superhero, not simply an older person who likes to get out and do things.
3. An active senior is ready to knock out any trouble that comes along. Don’t forget to smile!
4. Active seniors cut loose on vacation (from all that strenuous activity) by wearing a silly hat and a loud Hawaiian shirt, and carrying an inner tube and a refreshing cocktail.
5. Active seniors never stop with those leg workouts. Watch them flip around in the sand.
6. The second guy from the left doesn’t seem to be with the whole “active senior” program, or maybe he doesn’t like lining up in size order. And what’s with the blue shirt buddy?! Was your pink one in the wash?
7. Active seniors show they are care-free and fun-loving by jumping puddles.
Yay for active seniors! Aren’t we all just so darned cute?
Question: Which stock photo do you find the funniest – or the most insulting?