- This event has passed.
Elder Abuse Awareness Symposium
(Hybrid Event: Join In-Person or Online)
Date & Time
9:30AM ET / 8:30AM CT / 7:30AM MT / 6:30AM PT
San Antonio Food Bank
5200 Enrique M. Barrera Pkwy
San Antonio, 78227
The South Texas Adult Protective Services Community Board is hosting a symposium that is intended to enhance federal, state, and local efforts to address elder abuse through the development of training and resources. Attendees will learn about the latest information and tools to consider when responding to elder abuse cases.
Sessions will cover a broad range of topics including:
Session 1: Elder Abuse Guide for Law Enforcement |(EAGLE):
- Presented by Julie Schoen, JD* & Alexis Calleros:
- *Director | Elder Abuse Guide for Law Enforcement (EAGLE)
- Emeritus Consultant | National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA) at the Keck School of Medicine at USC
- +Project Manager | Elder Abuse Guide for Law Enforcement (EAGLE)
- Project Assistant | The National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA)
This session, presented by The National Center on Elder Abuse, will cover the many aspects of elder abuse and innovative resources for intervention and prevention, including the Elder Abuse Guide for Law Enforcement (EAGLE).
EAGLE was created by law enforcement, for law enforcement. Learn successful techniques including multidisciplinary approaches, and proven methods of engagement with the older adult population. EAGLE tools will be showcased and then used during an interactive case scenario where Law Enforcement officers can enhance their elder abuse knowledge. In addition to available resources, participants will get an exclusive glimpse at the newly refreshed EAGLE training with the National White Collar Crimes Center. This NW3C training is IADLEST certified and can be redeemed for post credit.
Session 2: Decisional Capacity Assessments in APS Clients. Presented by Dr. Jason E. Schillerstrom, MD, University of Texas Health Services Center. This presentation will highlight how to identify signs of incapacity, including how memory and executive function relate.
Session 3: Senior Justice Assessment Center. Presented by Bárbara López, Manager | Senior Justice Assessment Center (SJAC)
The Senior Justice Assessment Center, established in 2017 and the first of its kind in Texas, is a multi-agency initiative to address the abuse and neglect of the region’s growing elderly population. The Senior Justice Assessment Center (SJAC) serves as a central location that houses a multidisciplinary team (MDT) of experts in criminal and civil prosecution, law enforcement, protective services, social services, geriatric and forensic medicine, collaborating to address the complex needs of senior (age 65 or older) victims of crime, abuse, neglect and financial exploitation. These cases include physical, sexual, and emotional abuse, caregiver neglect, financial exploitation, or any combination of these types of abuse.
This presentation will highlight how the SJAC was created and established in Harris County, as well as how the interdisciplinary team utilizes a team-based approach to minimize the re-victimization of these elderly victims by coordinating comprehensive assessments and services for the client, and then working together to implement a robust intervention that includes medical, social, and legal as necessary.
Register to Attend In-Person at San Antonio Food Bank
Register to Attend Virtually on Zoom
Continuing Education Credit Is Available for Professional Attendees who attend the symposium in Person. If you have questions contact Lisa Senteno at 210.216.8450 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- TCOLE Credits have been applied for.
- CLE’s have been applied for.
- CPE certification for Certified Fraud Examiners has been applied for.
- 6 Hours of Social Work and Nursing Continuing Education Units/Hours have been applied for. Sage Care Management is approved as a provider for continuing education by the Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners and by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
- Other Professions: This seminar may qualify for continuing education/contact hours as required by many national, state, and local licensing boards or professional organizations. Sage Care Management will provide a Certificate of Attendance. Save with your course outline and contact your own board or organization for specific filing requirements.