There’s no time like 2013 to amp up your digital technology skills at the newest, coolest space for older New Yorkers – the Senior Planet Exploration Center.
The Exploration Center will be opening its doors January 14 for Open House Week; a range of courses, along with workshops, seminars and other events, starts January 22. Come to our open house to register!
How and When to Register
Register for any of the free courses listed below by calling our hotline 718 502-9203, or just stop in at the Senior Planet Exploration Center at 127 West 25th Street in Manhattan during Open House Week: January 14-18, 9 am-4 pm.
Call now or drop by to enroll and learn about our other free offerings: seminars, workshops, affinity groups and special events.
More coming soon – stay tuned.
Computer Basics – PC (10 weeks)
The schedule Mon, Wed 9:30–10:45am or Tue, Thu 9:30–10:45am
Who’s it for If you’ve never used a computer or have very little experience and want a solid introduction, this course is for you.
What you’ll learn The basics of how to use digital technology to connect to resources, knowledge and fun.
The Nitty Gritty Your instructor will teach you how to operate a computer and navigate the Internet. You’ll learn how to:
- use email
- search the web for information
- access entertainment sources
- connect to people, organizations, and interests that matter to you.
Advanced Computing – PC (10 weeks)
The schedule Mon, Wed 1:00 – 2:15 pm
Who’s it for This course is for anyone who has taken Computer Basics or who wants to expand their comfort and knowledge of how to use computers to enrich their daily lives.
What you’ll learn The course covers use of the Internet as an everyday resource for practical and life-enhancing activities focusing on social life, entertainment and life-management and various types of research.
The Nitty Gritty Your instructor will teach about
- social networking
- online shopping
- online banking
- health management
- entertainment sources
- social networking
- how to protect your personal information online
- how to explore topics of interest to you.
Job Searching in the Digital Age (5 weeks)
The schedule Tue ,Thu 1:00-2:15pm
What you’ll learn The skills and techniques necessary to seek paid or volunteer employment in the digital age.
The nitty-gritty Your instructor will guide you in mastering the basics of online job hunts as well as complicated issues unique to older adults who are looking for employment .
- define and create goals for your job search
- learn how to present yourself safely and appropriately online
- navigate trusted online sources for job and opportunity listings
- how to earn an income without losing benefits
- how to protect yourself against ageism in the workforce
Digital Photography (5 weeks)
The schedule 9:30–11:00am, days TBD
What you’ll learn This course covers the basics of digital photography
The nitty-gritty Your instructor will teach you how to
- use a digital camera
- transfer pictures to a computer
- share pictures online with friends and relatives
- print pictures at a neighborhood photo kiosk or drugstore